The knife is an integral part of a tool collection. We all know that application of the knife is not limited to culinary purpose, you can use it for a bunch of other activities. To help you out in keeping your knives sharp, we have prepared a Best knife sharpeners review for you.
In a hurry? Here are our top two choices for the best knife sharpeners to purchase in 2019 :
Here’s a quick rundown of our top 2 picks for knife sharpeners:
- Best Overall: Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect — “It is the best knife sharpener that you can get in the market today.”
- Best in Sharpening Stones: Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpening Stone 2 Side Grit 1000/6000 Waterstone — “Best options for those who prefer sharpening stones over electric sharpeners.”
Top 5 Knife Sharpeners of 2019
Without knives our kitchen is incomplete, and so is our toolbox that we use to fix things up. Use of knives is not limited to culinary purpose as several types of knives are used for various tasks. With the time blades tend to lose their sharpness. To make them work again, we have to use knife sharpeners to hone their edges. There are primarily two types of blade sharpeners available in the market. Before we introduce you to our best knife sharpener reviews, we’d like to make a few things clear for those who are not familiar with this concept of sharpening blades. There are two methods to get a better edge on the blade – First is honing, and the second is sharpening.
In most cases, you need to hone the blade instead of sharpening it.
- Honing: In honing you straighten the edge of a blade that’s already sharp.
- Sharpening: In the sharpening process you have to grind down the metal of the blade to create a fresh edge. However, the thing with sharpening is that more you do it, quickly it wears away.
Best Overall: Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect
In our Best knife sharpeners review for 2019, our first pick is Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect. This electric knife sharpener is the best option if we consider all the feature that is being offered. It comes with a 3-stage knife sharpening. It can turn any angle blade into a 15-degree sharp blade. While turning the blade into a 15-degree angle blade, it makes sure to keep its longevity. The 15-degree angle is the standard angle used in Japanese knives. However, the drawback of this feature is that it can’t turn a 15-degree angle blade into a 20-degree angle blade. It can be a disappointment for some customers if they don’t like Japanese style knives. It comes with flexible abrasives that prevent any damage to the edge of the blade during the process of honing. It has spring guides that make sure the correct angle is maintained during the process. 3-year warranty is available on this product. It’s slightly larger than other blade sharpeners but weighs 5 pounds.
- Edge angle you get is 15° degree
- Stropping stage is provided in this device
- Easy to use, quite durable
- Can’t produce 20° edge on knives that are thick
- Lack of control
Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener
Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener is the second product that we tested, and the results were excellent. Even this sharpener comes with flexible abrasives to maintain the sharpness of edges. It doesn’t burn & damage the steel of your blade during the honing or sharpening. Manufacturers offer you easily replaceable abrasive grit belts. It turns blades into a 15-degree angle blade. You get an instruction DVD within the package. It has an adjustable sharpening module along with a trigger switch.
- Comes with a compact & easily transportable design
- Cast steel body makes it sturdy & durable
- Speed can be adjusted from 1200SFM to 2800SFM
- Allows you to sharpen the blades that are delicate
- You can sharpen even an item as large as a shovel
- You can fix dings in your blade quite easily
- Your blade can get scuffs on it by over-sharpening
- It’s an expensive product
- It’s right-hand oriented
Best in Sharpening Stones: Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpener
When it comes to knife sharpeners, there are several types of them, one of them is sharpening stones or whetstones. If you are a person who prefers sharpening stones over electric sharpeners, this Sharp Pebble Whetstone is the best option currently available in the market. We tested it, and its performance amused us. It’s handcrafted from a unique non-slip bamboo base. It contains two-sided whetstone of 1000 & 6000 grits. It has a safety sharpening angle. Customers get a 30-days manufacturer’s warranty for returning the defective piece. It’s built with premium quality material. You also get an instruction manual and an ebook.
- It sharpens the dull blades quickly
- Doesn’t need any lubricant for honing or sharpening
- Easy to use for even beginners
- It gets too soft if you leave it in water for long time
- You have to flatten & resurface it regularly
Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener
Our next pick for the best knife sharpeners in 2019 is Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal. Now after we tested it, we can say that it’s not for everyone, but it costs mere 10 bucks to keep it in your toolbox. You can’t fix large and delicate blades with it, but it’s okay for simple knives. It’s something that you can carry anywhere in a pocket, that makes it a good option for backpackers, hikers, hunters and fishers. It’s not the best knife sharpener, but it’s a good option for pocket tools. It comes with a tapered round diamond-coated rod for your blade’s recovery. It’s okay for flat edges, and it comes with a pre-set carbide blades. You get ceramic stones for the final finish. Overall, it’s something you can keep in your toolbox.
- Easy to carry for outdoor activities
- Inexpensive price
- Good for simple blades
- Cheap plastic body
- Not for delicate, large blades
Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System
Lansky Deluxe 5- Stone Sharpening System is our final pick for best kitchen knife sharpener reviews. This sharpener comes with a set of 5 clear coloured stones. You get a convenient case to carry it around, making it easily transportable tool. You also get honing oil for lubrication during the honing. A clamp is provided to hold the blade tightly.
- Quality product
- Affordable price
- Durable & popular
- The learning curve is long
- Time-consuming for novice users
The Top 5 Knife Sharpeners — Buyer’s Guide
- Types of sharpeners: Before you purchase any sharpener from the internet or market, a bit of primer on it can be quite useful. There are mainly for types of sharpeners/rods — sharpening steels(mostly used by chefs or cooks), sharpening stones, electric knife sharpener and manual knife sharpener. You must choose the sharpener suitable for the type of knife you use.
- Time: Another important factor you must consider before making a purchase is time. Different sharpeners don’t take same amount of time to do the task. If you, just like me, don’t mind spending 5 minutes on a whetstone to sharpen your blade, you must select a manual or electric sharpener as it takes only a few passes to get the job done.
- Price: Market is crowded with sharpeners of various types, brands as well as prices. You can get a sharpener for as low as $10 to as expensive as $150. If you are going to use it regularly, then you must buy a high quality, branded sharpener. Cheap quality sharpeners never last long enough and barely ever get the job done. On the other hand, if you are only going to use for occasions like Thanksgiving or Christmas, then you don’t have to get an expensive one. You can get a decent sharpener at a lower price. It does the job.
In the end, all we have to say is that consider the factors mentioned above to avoid purchasing wrong type of sharpener or overpaying for it. You can experiment with the inexpensive models before buying an expensive one. We hope our guide is going to be helpful for you in deciding correct knife sharpener to buy in 2019.